Have you ever realised you’re out of Rizla at 2 in the morning with no way to pick up more until the morning? Fear not – If you have an apple to hand you can make your own (sort-of-edible) pipe
This works great with apples, but you can use pretty much any hard fruit and even some vegetables (carrots etc)..
Granted, the face on the apple pipe in the photo below might be a bit out of your design skill set, but to make the actual pipe it is relatively easy.
What you will need:
- A piece of hard fruit (for sake of ease, let’s say an apple)
- A Biro (With the ink taken out)
- A Key / Small knife / Something similar with a sharp point
- Either core the apple with the knife/sharp object, but only 3/4 of the way down, stick the pen at a slight angle from the centre, until it hits the core about 3/4 of the way down – The latter way may be easier if you don’t have a knife – This is where the herb will go.
- Use the pen to make another hole, between the bottom and the middle of the apple – this is where you will inhale the smoke from. Make sure it meets up with the first hole you made in the middle.
- Make a third whole in the same way anywhere else on the apple, again meeting the other holes in the middle. This will be your rush hole, so make sure you make it somewhere that a finger can easily reach whilst you are doing the pipe. You can actually just make the second hole go all the way through the fruit and out the other side (as shown in the picture below) if you are that way inclined.
- Carve out a bowl around the opening of the first hole you made, big enough for your chosen amount of herbs. The picture below is one variation, but start with a smaller bowl if needed.
- You can either use the pen as a mouthpiece for the pipe by sticking it into one of the side holes, or you can do the pipe straight from the piece of fruit. See which way works best for you!
Pack it up, light it up and enjoy!
Technically your pipe is will be edible, although I wouldn’t recommend it – it may not taste that great after breathing smoke through it. The good thing about this method of smoking is that the chosen fruit/vegetable will leave its own distinguished flavour on the smoke.
This type of pipe would be excellent if you’re out in a public place – for example, a beach or a park. They’re easily disposable and hard to spot. It’s just an apple after all!