This week I sat down with cannabis activist Simpa Carter to discuss cannabis language and the way it is weaponised against a fair and open discussion about the plant.
You can watch the episode below or click here to watch on YouTube.
There was a lot to talk about and I’ve check-marked all the chapters so you can jump between different aspects of this nuanced and complex topic.
- 00:00 intro
- 1:06 When did you notice cannabis language was skewed?
- 2:22 The Etymology of cannabis
- 5:00 False dichotomies
- 7:03 Language as a tool to manipulate
- 9:40 History of cannabis language and propaganda
- 10:18 Origins of ‘Skunk Psychosis’
- 14:34 Weaponisation of language
- 18:24 “All cannabis is medical”
- 19:20 “Weed is fine but I don’t like skunk”
- 21:00 The past few years in the UK – co-opting
- 23:00 24 Hour drinking laws
- 25:35 the origins of propaganda and fighting the narrative
- 30:36 The misrepresentation (and clever marketing) of CBD
- 37:50 0.2% THC restrictions on hemp
- 40:00 Empowerment, cultivation and “Dealers”
- 41:30 Green Crack
- 43:47 Reclaiming the narrative and standardising language
- 46:19 The changing of the laws in November 2018
- 48:54 Being correct with cannabis language
- 50:04 Decriminalisation vs Legalisation
- 53:00 Outro